Divider

Divider

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Fenrir's Daughters: Jewel Helva



It was bitter cold and I found the sun was a blood red colour in the grim sky. I've never known a day like it. Such dark endless clouds, almost like the dreaded nuclear winter has come upon the world. It wasn't though. It was something I can't explain.
There have been numerous lights over the hills for hours. Soundless falling stars without smoke. Nothing to show there had been fireworks or aircraft shows at all. Besides that, it was just vast wilderness across that way.
Not very wise of me, but being curious and explorative, I went out to have a look. I walked miles over the dry grass that was frosted and damp. My boots were soaking and I was beaten. I turned back home and returned to the village.
There wasn't anymore mysterious lights. Then I journeyed across the fields in my dark wolf's shape, feeling much more fitter and capable. It wasn't of interest to me anymore but I wanted to know what was causing last night's silent ghostly display.
Finally, I came to a steep valley. Below were some tents, and a small group of people messing with bonfires. I went further down the slope to get closer. Surely these people were responsible for the silent fireworks, I wondered. I kept low and hid behind shrubs. Then I could hear their voices, and I pricked my ears to listen to what they were saying.
"I told you!" "Yes!" "You keep saying it, man!" "They won't come back!"
I heard them say those things clearly. So I inched closer towards them.
"Hey, perhaps they will come back the same time as they appeared yesterday?" said one of the men.
"No, it's too cold tonight."
I don't know what they were talking about. I layed down and waited. And waited. Then I closed my eyes and I was soon drifting off to sleep. The bonfires were gone out and the men were snoring away in their tents.
Flickering lights woke me from the gentle sway towards sleep. I opened my eyes, and I could smell something weird that reminded me of burnt biscuits. I could see glittering shapes in the air and they all looked like animals. I made out a horse, a cow, a hare, antelope, an eagle, lemur, a small cat, a large tiger, elephant, giraffe, rhino, tiny birds, a gorilla, chimp, snake coiling and uncoiling, fish! I stood up and stared! What are they?
The animals were dancing several feet off the ground, in silence, and all in harmony.
I've never seen anything like it before. So scared, I went back up the slope as fast as I could. I didn't want to look back. I headed straight home and once I got into my house, I didn't come out until morning.
I was too scared to talk about it to anyone. I didn't talk to my elderly grandmother who is cheerful and happy. I didn't want to frighten her. I didn't want to talk to my busy dad, a werewolf at night but an engineer in the day. I couldn't mention it anyway because I was shaking from what I had witnessed.
I plan to read books and find out what it was that I saw. Could the animals of the earth be in trouble? Were their spirits trying to communicate? I have to know.
My name is Jewel and I'm 21 years old. The story I shared is in confidence for I'm too scared to talk to anyone outside Fenrir's Daughters about it. Maybe someone in the club knows and can help me figure this out.   
 
(((Fiction stories of Fenrir's Daughters written by Rayne)))
All rights reserved. 
Copyright © 2015 Rayne Herbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment